The Project is divided into several Work Packages (WP), each focusing on a specific and specialist aspect.
A link to project outputs – reports, briefing papers, articles, etc. – is available here.
WP1 General Framework Paper: Drawing on literature from multiple fields, this Work Package provides an interdisciplinary review of the ‘state of the art’ in analyses of trends and transformations in in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) in the 7 Arab States the project focuses on (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Jordan, Iraq).
- D1.1 Framework Paper
WP2 Background Reports: This WP identifies key factors in the political, economic, and social contexts of Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Jordan, and Iraq in the lead-up to the 2010/2011 Arab Uprisings.
- D2.2 Literature Report for political & social change
WP3 Survey Design and Development: Work Package 3 designs a cross-national survey which can answer the outstanding research questions on the region identified in WP1 and WP2, assessing the social, political, and economic attitudes of ordinary citizens.
- D3.3 Master Questionnaire in English and Arabic
WP4 Survey Fieldwork: Work Package 4 carries out the survey fieldwork, aiming to conduct 1700 face-to-face interviews in each country, along with a methods guide to how the survey was conducted, as well the other methods used throughout the Project.
- D4.4 Final Survey Questionnaire in English
- D4.5 Final Survey Questionnaire in Arabic
- D4.6 Survey Technical Handbook
WP5 Survey Data‐Set and Code‐Book: WP5 compiles the ArabTrans survey data into an SPSS Survey Data Set, and produces Code-Books, tracking technical details of the survey, and documenting the distribution of all political, social, and demographic questions.
WP6 Survey Reports: WP6 provides six Country Reports and one Comparative Report analysing respondents' attitudes at the individual level to their countries' political, social and economic situations, as well as participation in the Arab Uprisings.
- D6.7 Country Survey Report – Morocco
- D6.8 Country Survey Report – Algeria
- D6.9 Country Survey Report – Tunisia
- D6.10 Country Survey Report – Libya
- D6.11 Country Survey Report – Egypt
- D6.12 Country Survey Report – Jordan
- D6.13 Country Survey Report – Iraq
- D6.14 Country Survey Report – Comparative
WP7 Political and Social Transitions: Based on a longitudinal dataset including both survey and non-survey quantitative indicators, this Work Package analyses significant political, economic and social transformations over 2000-2015, producing seven country reports and a comparative report.
- D7.15 Political and Social Transformations Report 2010 - 2015: Morocco
- D7.16 Political and Social Transformations Report 2010 - 2015: Algeria
- D7.17 Political and Social Transformations Report 2010 - 2015: Tunisia
- D7.18 Political and Social Transformations Report 2010 - 2015: Libya
- D7.19 Political and Social Transformations Report 2010 - 2015: Egypt
- D7.20 Political and Social Transformations Report 2010 - 2015: Jordan
- D7.21 Political and Social Transformations Report 2010 - 2015: Iraq
- D7.23 Political and Social Transformations Report 2010 - 2015: Comparative
WP8 Youth, generation and social media: This Work Package focuses on how young people and social media influenced socio-political changes compared to older age groups.
- D8.24 Youth, Generations and New Media in Transition Comparative Report
WP9 Europe and the Middle East: This Work Package 9 analyses the conceptual structure of post-2011 EU Neighbourhood Policy and analyses ArabTrans survey results, exploring to what extent it 'learns lessons' from the Arab Uprisings.
- D9.25: The Impact and Role of the European Union on Political Transitions in the Middle East and North Africa: Democratisation and Democracy Assistance Policies
- D9.26: The Impact of the European Union in Arab Countries: Evidence from the ArabTrans 2014 Survey
WP10 Executive Summary: This Work Package provides an extended executive summary of the main findings from the project.
- D10.30 Final Scientific Report
WP11 Dissemination: WP11 includes outreach and dissemination activities with a variety of stakeholders (e.g. academics, policy-makers, the media, think tanks, etc.).
- D11.22 Midterm Policy Brief: What do ‘The People’ Want? Citizens’ Perceptions of Democracy, Development, and EU-MENA Relations in Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Libya, and Morocco in 2014
- D11.28 Dissemination Paper for International Scientific Community
- D11.29 Final Policy Brief